Monday 3 March 2014

Growing up so Fast

Exactly one month ago, I welcomed an 8-week-old bouncing ball of fur into my home and family. He weighed 10.4 pounds, and won my heart with a lick to the face.

That was then.

Now, I have a hyperactive, crazy 20.8 pound, 3-month old pup. Is one jog in this cursed weather not enough?

The first time I saw Blizzard had been on a Saturday. He was just shy of 7 weeks old, and was one of 3 males in his litter of 11. Bursting with anticipation, we had rounded the corner to a nice farm, and walked into a pen of fluffy pups.

'twas love at first lick.

A week later, the preparations were made, and we drove back to bring him home.

Blizzard at 6.5 weeks

We were taken to a giant fluffy tornado of limbs and noses, and the biggest one of the bunch was placed in our arms. "Is this him?" I wondered. But there was no mistake. He was the only white male.

He weighed in at 10.4 pounds that day. Did I forget to mention that he was only two months old?

We brought him home to our pathetic puppy pen, designed for a smaller pup. Modifications were made, and we thought he was good to sleep in the pen till the crate arrived.

We thought wrong.

Blizzard's first day home (8 weeks)


Sometime the next week, I suddenly had difficulty holding him. My light little pup now weighed 13.4 pounds.

It doesn't seem like much, but that's a 1/3 increase in weight. Not much happened this week.

This week.

The next week, surprisingly, Blizzard hadn't gained a single pound. But no one was focusing on his growth rate. Something terrible happened.

It was during this week, that the big escape occured.

One morning, I dashed downstairs to take him out, and as I groggily fumbled around in search of the leash, hand met fur.

Innocent, cute little Blizzard had escaped his pen, soaked the carpet, stank up the house, chewed on everything, terrorized the poor cat, and ate all the cat food.

That was the last day anyone saw the pen.

Blizzard the escape artist at 9 weeks
Not much happened during the next three weeks, but now, he's doubled his weight, and his trouble-making capacity.

Every time I turn my back, he will dart off and grab my camera in his jaws, running off with it.

Yesterday, I took him to the offleash with his ball for a game of fetch.

He went chasing after that little ball, bringing it back each time.

I decided to give him a real treat, poised the ball behind my ear and whipped it as far as I could. Blizzard had a wild look in his eyes as he darted after it.

But as he reached about 6 feet away from me, he stopped short, and returned. He didn't want to leave me.

What? Me? I didn't chew up those slippers (12 weeks)
Where has time gone? How did he grow so fast? I blink, and he's sprouted another 5 pounds!

What are your dog stories?

For more Blizzard stories, and a picture per day, please follow @xblizzardx on instagram.

2 comments: