Monday 28 February 2011

The Word of the Day....Keep it Real

Well, okay...it's more than one word.


So you look at the day that is ahead of you and you realize that it looks like a mountain. Lots of steps to climb and each looks taller and steeper than the one before it.

Daunting.

As you realize that you must climb up to get to your goal you think about the steps (no pun intended) to reach your destination. What causes an ever so slight pause? Is it the constant thinking that every step might be different? Perhaps you obsess with how you must place your foot....step by step....must it be in the exact same location every time you heave youe leg forward and then up? Should you use your hands, or even a walking stick to assist you? What if you don't? My gosh..what if the weather changes?

How is one to assess such a task?

Part of me is using this loose analogy to consider how to best address the needs of my students.

I feel in part I have been obsessing with how to assess the small things, yet trying to find a way to bring in some real world applications. I want to allow students to see how what they are learning is relevant...I want to prepare them for the year 2020 and beyond, when who knows what types of careers or jobs will be available to them.

I want them to find their passion. I need to keep it real. I need to stop and consider how to best assess how each student is doing in my classroom.

Keep it simple, keep it real.

And that's the word.

Colleagues...How do you keep it real in your classroom? 

Students....how can your teachers keep it real for you?

Drop me  a note...

No comments:

Post a Comment